Monday, February 21, 2005

I WAS HUNGRY....

For the past several years I have been supporting the Society of St. Andrew through financial gifts. This organization does what it can to put foot leather to its faith, by providing food gleaned from the fields to hungry people throughout the world. The majority of this food would have gone to waste and left to rot in the field if the people of the Society of St. Andrew didn't step in to save it for others. In 2004, the Society of St. Andrew saved and distributed 31.2 million pounds of food. According to "The Link" from the South Georgia Annual Conference of the UMC, south Georgians distributed over 340,000 pounds of produce this past year.

So, how can you help? You can help by getting involved. Visit their website at www.endhunger.org and you can find out about making financial donations, becoming a member, or participating in "potato drops" and other gleaning events. Or, if you live in a rural area like we do, you can organize a gleaning day, where volunteers can go through the field after harvest to glean the remainder. You could arrange for local farmers or produce companies to donate their cull vegetables to you for distribution from the church or through St. Andrew.

If you are a federal employee, you can make direct financial contributions through the Combined Federal Campaign (CFC) program, where a portion of your paycheck gets diverted directly to the Society of St. Andrew.

No matter what you do, I would strongly encourage you to get involved in this worthwhile organization. At the very least, commit to praying for them on a regular basis.

Matthew 25: 43-40: "Then the King will say to those on his right, `Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.' "Then the righteous will answer him, `Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?' "The King will reply, `I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'

No comments: