Thursday, July 12, 2007

LIVING LARGE AT SCHOOL

I am currently at Emory University in Atlanta, GA, going to Course of Study for the Methodist Church. Rather than staying in the dorm this year, I opted to once again go out to Stone Mountain Park Campground, about 30 minutes from campus, and stay out there in my camper. The natural setting seems more conducive to study to me than staying in a dorm in downtown Atlanta for two weeks. Also, the dorm the Course of Study students used to stay in was very bad and not very comfortable. This year they got new accomodations that are evidently very, very nice. Still, I'm happy where I am, now that I have hot water in my camper again.

This year I'm taking two courses: New Testament I and Our Mission from God -- Evangelism. I am doing better in the New Testament class because it is a traditional class. The professor lectures, we take notes in orderly fashion, and it is pretty much given to you in black and white. The evangelism class is another story. No lecture, no notes so far (4 days into the class). It is a lot more touchy, feely than I feel comfortable with. Being somewhat of an introvert and finding myself in a class with dynamic, type A personalities, I am overwhelmed. The instructor gave me a slight, non-direct rebuke for not participating in the discussion today, but it's hard to get a word in when you are being talked over so much. Regardless, the books for the class were good, and I am picking up a few things from the discussion around the table. I just don't have a lot to input at the present time.

While it's hard to be absent from home and work and church for two weeks, it's still somewhat of a vacation to come out and stay at Stone Mountain. Once the afternoon storms passed through on Wednesday, I was able to take my kayak out on the lake for a few hours, and I went to a movie tonight. Activities that I could not do during a normal week. I've had these kayaks for a couple years now, and haven't had an opportunity to use them but a handful of times because of working full-time and pastoring part-time.

So, bottom-line, I am not going to be posting a lot during the next two weeks, and there won't be any sermons to add to the site while I am here at school.

2 comments:

Theresa Coleman said...

So, who is the prof?
Inquiring minds want to know....

Gregory said...

Dr. Arthur Wainwright is teaching the New Testament class. Retired from Candler several years ago.