Saturday, July 31, 2010

Vidalia Onions, Christ Jesus, and Gay Marriage

Juliet: "What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet." Romeo and Juliet (II, ii, 1-2), William Shakespeare.

In this quote from Shakespeare's famous play, he makes the point that a name is just a thing. It doesn't matter what you call it -- the object itself is the important thing. A rose is still a rose and still smells just as sweet if you were to mistakenly call it a daffodil or a turnip or anything else. In other words, many different names can be used to describe the one real and true flower that we recognize as the rose. I think we can all agree with that assertion made by old Will. The truth is the truth no matter what you call it.

But, in our day and age, we are seeing the converse applied with the same assertion that the truth is the truth no matter what you call it. However, in this case, the name has been misappropriated and misrepresented rather than the object itself. Let me explain.

For instance, take Vidalia onions. The Vidalia onion is a sweet onion that comes from a twenty-county area in the great state of Georgia. That is a fact. To be a Vidalia onion, this particular type of sweet onion must come from this region. Thus, the name "Vidalia onion" is unique. It can only refer to one object, to one true reality. So, while Shakespeare might be correct in saying that it doesn't matter what you call a sweet onion, it does matter what you call a Vidalia onion. Vidalia onions are sweet onions, but not all sweet onions are Vidalia onions. Now, why does this matter?

It matters because some grocery stores in other parts of the country were acquiring sweet onions from outside of the twenty-county area in Georgia that is legally recognized as the only producers of Vidalia onions and were calling them "Vidalia onions." They were using the same name, but meaning something entirely different. Just because they called it a "Vidalia onion" didn't mean that it was a Vidalia onion. In fact, it was no where close, because, as all Georgians know, the Vidalia onion is simply the best sweet onion in the entire world and all others pale by comparison (Take that, Walla Walla!).

So, let's get to the real point. What does our illustration about Vidalia onions show? First, it shows that, despite Shakespeare's assertions, sometimes what is in a name matters. Sometimes it matters a lot. For instance, think for a moment about the name of our Lord and Savior, Christ Jesus. You see Jesus' name used a lot. You hear Jesus' name being used a lot. In the Bible, in Christian literature, from pulpits, in church documents, even in religious blogs. We all know Who we mean when we say, "Jesus," right? WRONG!

On occasion, I will be disturbed in my living room early on Saturday mornings by the visit of uninvited guests. They have come by my house on this fine morning to share with me the good news of salvation that we have in Jesus. Now, I love talking about Jesus with other people. In fact, it's what I do. So, I welcome the conversation.

I listen as they open their holy text and share with me who Jesus is and what Jesus does and then, it hits me. The Jesus they are talking about is not the Jesus that I know. I don't remember the Bible talking about Jesus coming to North America. I don't remember my Jesus being the physical son of a sexual union between Heavenly Father and his wife. I don't remember reading that Jesus and Lucifer (Satan) were actually brothers. And then I understand what is going on.

We are using the same name (Jesus), but we are meaning something entirely different. The Jesus that I know from the Bible, the Second Person of the Trinity, God incarnate, is not the same Jesus that they have been sharing with me. And I wonder how many people have been led down a false path simply because this other group misappropriated a Name that means everything to me and to the world.

Names are important. That's why God changed people's names quite frequently in the Bible. That's why Abram became Abraham, Sarai became Sarah, Jacob became Israel, and Simon became Peter. Names stand for something. They have meaning, and if used in the wrong way, they can cause a shift in understanding that will have effects all the way down through history. In other words, if you change what a name means, then you are exchanging the truth of that name for something entirely different.

We see the same thing going on right now in the push for same-sex marriages in our country. For years now, same-sex marriage has been an issue that has caused confusion, division, and discourse from federal and state politicians and judges to denominations and churches to the average man or woman in the grocery store.

On the surface, the issue appears easy enough -- why not allow homosexual couples in America the right to enjoy the same relationships and priviledges that heterosexual couples have enjoyed since the beginning of time? What is the harm in doing so? How does it affect heterosexual marriages in any way if we let gay couples marry? I can't tell you how many times I have heard those questions thrown my way in discussions with friends after work.

It all comes down to what I have been saying: Names matter. From my limited understanding of the issue and from what I know to be true from the few homosexual people I know, when the conservative Christian community uses the term "marriage," it means something entirely different than what the homosexual community means when they use it. When we use the term "marriage," we are referring to a God-given institution that was defined as one man and one woman whose lives, including their sexual lives, are experienced solely through that union. They leave their mothers and fathers, they cleave together, and they become one flesh.

However, when the majority of the homosexual community uses the term "marriage," they are not referring to a closed institution lived out between two persons (yes, I know that there are many gay couples who have lived monogamously during their entire relationship, but that's not the real issue here). Instead, they are referring to an institution that allows for openness among partners in the area of sexual intimacy, an "open" marriage, if you will. And, that's fine, if that's the type of relationship they are looking for. I can live with and tolerate things I don't agree with.

However, if the push for gay marriage succeeds, then more has been accomplished than just allowing homosexual couples to enjoy the same legal benefits of heterosexual married couples. What will have been allowed is the complete redefinition of "marriage." No longer will marriage mean the same thing it means today. No longer will marriage be defined through the religious communities that originally recognized it as a gift from God for men and women meant to reflect our relationship with God Himself. No longer will marriage be defined as one man and one woman living in a committed monogamous relationship for life.

Instead, "marriage" will mean something entirely different, and from the moment that same-sex marriage becomes the law of the land, the meaning of the word will have changed forever. The original institution of marriage will have been lost because of what scholars call an epistemiological shift. In other words, once the definition --the meaning -- of a word changes, it can never revert back to its original definition, and the new meaning takes hold in the hearts and minds of the people.

Thus, the battle over same-sex marriage is not so much a fight against the rights of others to enjoy relationships, but a fight for tradition and honesty and meaning. It is a fight for the true definition of marriage over a false definition that will change our lives forever.

This is the inherent danger with the push for same-sex marriage. This is the inherent danger with other groups who use the name "Jesus" but mean entirely something else. And this is why Shakespeare was wrong.

A rose may be just as sweet if you call it something else, but to call a garbage dump a "rose" and to change the meaning in the process, is just wrong.

7 comments:

Kyle J said...

Very Interesting post...if you have time please read my response to it...http://anenduringvision.blogspot.com/2010/08/redefining-of-gay-marriage.html

Butterflies and hand-grenades said...

Honestly, though I disagree with much of what you have said, I really respect your analogies, and ideals. That being said, I would like to say why I personally want the shift in the definition.

Many people believe that homosexuality is a choice, I can assure you, it is not. With this difference, whether it is a choice or not, we see in the individuals a desire for respect. But even more than respect, we want understanding. The vast majority of homosexuals want to live a life that is not always under the scrutiny of their peers. We do not seek out negative attention, who would??

This taken into account easily explains why we want the word marriage. Marriage is something that is glorified in many instances by Hollywood, and even by Disney. We have grown up seeing that as our happy ending. No kid, either straight or gay, watches cinderella and thinks "Boy, I sure don't want to end up happily ever after...and I sure would like a civic union" Not a chance. We want normalacy, and though you may deem it abnormal, for us...it is the ONLY normal we can strive for. Sir, you are obviously very intelligent, but you lack a certain perspective that you were blessed to have. I really hated myself for the longest time, and than I had an revaluation...If I can't change, that means that I was made this way, and if that's true than maybe I am meant to be this way.

Sir, I want my big white wedding, and I will strive for the rest of my life to get it. Have a great day, we all need great days :)
-BHG

Butterflies and hand-grenades said...

Sorry for the numerous grammatical and spelling errors...I am very tired, and typed that quite quickly.
-BHG

Unknown said...

I came across this blog when I googled, "Why can't gay marriage be called something else?" I agree with you in most cases, however even heterosexuals are living in open marriages, so to deny homosexuals the right of marriage merely because they may live in an open marriage, is not a good enough defense. My issue with gay marriage, is the fact that marriage is a religious tradition and union created by God. Our world is becoming extremely immoral, and more and more acceptable; I fear for my future children. The question I have is, why do homosexuals want to get married? I am currently living in sin(I live with my boyfriend), however I want to eventually get married so I do not have to live with this guilt that I am disappointing God. As far as legality, my boyfriend and I could get around certain things in case one of us died. When it comes to insurance, we each have our own insurance, it is not as big a deal as protests for gay marriage make it out to be. I blame Christians for letting marriage become what it has. Divorce rates are ridiculous and we should of fought for the definition of marriage a long time ago. Nonetheless, it is never to late. Why not start now? We can still have our weddings, but if it is not a religious union, we should call it something else.

Gregory said...

KyleJL -- Thanks for taking time to read and comment on my post! My goal was to generate conversation and understanding, and that's exactly what I hope has happened.

I understood going in that subjects like this are very divisive and very emotional, and my purpose was not to try to sway anyone committed to other stances on marriage, but to at least put in writing why a lot of people in the Christian community are opposed to same-sex marriages. I am afraid that, in a lot of cases, the conservative Christian response has come across as bigoted and judgmental and out of keeping with the character of Christ Himself, and for that, I apologize and ask forgiveness from the homosexual community.

You make some excellent points about marriage and the institution of marriage and, really, we are not that far off in our understanding. I agree that the church abdicated its responsibility and allowed the secularization of marriage(We've done exactly that on many other issues, but that's another post for another day!)

In my opinion, the focus of the church should be on cleaning its own house in regards to marriage first before it concerns itself with others. Divorce rates among Christians are comparable to non-Christians. Incidents of family abuse, infidelity, and dysfunction are similar to non-Christians. Christians living together out of wedlock are just as common as they are among non-Christians (in fact, out of all the couples I married over the last 10 years, 90% of them were living together before marriage). These are all issues that need to be confronted in the church before we can honestly have a voice in the whole marriage debate. For that reason, I joke among my gay friends and ask them why they want the right to marry when hetersexuals and the church have made such a mess of it!

But, even with the mess that we have made of marriage, I still stand by my argument that the word "marriage" has merit and meaning within the Christian community and that the redefining of it will have implications that will ripple throughout society (which, I understand, is part of the goal of those advocating the legalization of same-sex marriage), making it even harder to restore the word and the institution back to its original God-given state.

Gregory said...

c_winnett7474 -- I agree with your post, especially the part about open marriage. That is not the whole issue with the redefinition of marriage through legalization of same-sex marriage, but it is a part. I just chose that to frame my argument around that for the sake of brevity and to get conversation going.

I am curious, though, over your statement that you are currently living with your boyfriend but plan to get married eventually. Your post indicates that you understand the importance and the religious connotation of marriage, and I was wondering why you would wait for a future day given your current living situation? Why not go ahead and live out your convictions by marrying your boyfriend now?

Pysankyman said...

The term is already out there...for the civil joining of two individuals use the term marriage. It is the licensing of the marriage by the government that makes it legal, providing all the civil benefits such a joining entails. For marriages contracted in the context of a religious ceremony or a faith community where this joining receives the blessing of the community AND also complies with the licensing by the government, call it Holy Matrimony. Churches, synagogues, temples, etc., are free to bless or not bless relationships as they so choose. How simple can it be folks? My spouse and I were legally married in DC on the steps of the Supreme Court of the land last week. This was a civil marriage contract. When the appropriate time comes we can then have our church bless an existing marriage, though at this time in the Episcopal Church it is left to diocesan discretion. Our diocese does not provide same gender marriages since they are not legal nor licensed in our home state. If anybody feels that my marriage in some way threatens your marriage, yours must be a rather weak bond to start with. We have been together since 1980 and consider this a civil rights equality issue. I am so very happy with my civil marriage and hope that all married people can be with theirs.