Wednesday, August 05, 2015

SERMON: EVERYDAY HOLY




31 May 2015

I.  Introduction
            -- turn in Bibles to John 17:20-23

John 17:20-23 (NIV)
20 "My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message,
21 that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me.
22 I have given them the glory that you gave me, that they may be one as we are one:
23 I in them and you in me. May they be brought to complete unity to let the world know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me.

            -- The noted English architect Sir Christopher Wren was supervising the construction of a magnificent cathedral in London -- a journalist thought it would be interesting to interview some of the workers, so he chose three of them at random and asked them this question, "What are you doing?"
            -- The first replied, "I’m cutting stone for 10 shillings a day." -- The next answered, "I’m putting in 10 hours a day on this job." -- But the third said, "I’m helping Sir Christopher Wren construct one of London’s greatest cathedrals."1

            -- I've been doing an awful lot of thinking about work recently -- I've had a lot of conversations with coworkers about their jobs and their thoughts on work -- I've been reading several books and blogs on productivity in the workplace -- and I've been around a lot of young people who are graduating from high school and college and getting ready to enter the job market -- so the idea of work and careers has been on my mind a lot
            -- and I've noticed a common theme coming from all of these sources on the subject of work -- I actually heard it summed up best at a graduation party for my cousins last weekend -- "Oh, go and have fun now while you're young and you don't have a full-time job -- because once you start working, you'll never get to have fun again"
            -- the message that is being given out right now is that work is drudgery and should be avoided at all costs -- and the focus of all these productivity books and blogs about life-hacks is that if you can increase your productivity, you can do more work in less time -- which means you can minimize the amount of actual work you have to do, so you can get to what is truly important in life -- having fun
            -- the whole message they're sending out is that work is not fun, but is only a necessary means to an end -- and I see that, in my own life and in the lives of those who work with me -- I had one young man come up to me this week and say, "I'm just not happy -- I'm the definition of disgruntled" -- and that concerned me -- not only because I see him at the start of his career looking ahead to years of work in his chosen field -- not only because I see this same idea in my own life -- but because it is a direct affront to God's will and God's plan for our lives
            -- contrary to popular opinion, God did not create work as a punishment for man -- in fact, before the Fall -- when Adam and Eve lived with God in perfect harmony -- one with Him and in perfect accord with Him -- God placed them in the Garden of Eden and gave them a job -- He told them to take care of His creation -- to tend the garden and to be His stewards, so that He might receive glory from their actions
            -- so, in other words, work was originally conceived by God as the means by which we were to bring Him glory -- by living our lives for Him -- by letting our everyday acts of service be consecrated to Him -- our work was to bring Him glory
            -- but this is not what we see today -- this is not how most of us feel about work or about school today -- so what went wrong?

II.  Working to be Whole
            -- I was thinking about this when I turned to this passage in John during my devotions this week -- and a novel thought entered my mind -- a different understanding and meaning for this passage
            -- let me show you what I'm talking about -- look back with me at verse 20

John 17:20-23 (NIV)
20 "My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message,
21 that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me.
22 I have given them the glory that you gave me, that they may be one as we are one:
23 I in them and you in me. May they be brought to complete unity to let the world know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me.
           
            -- in this prayer of Jesus on the night He was betrayed, Jesus prayed for all of His disciples -- both those who were gathered with Him that night and for us, who would come to believe because of their witness
            -- and the focus of this prayer is on unity -- Jesus prays that we may be one, as He and the Father are one
            -- and then down in verse 23 He prays that we might be brought to complete unity to let the world know that the Father had sent Jesus

            -- now when we see these verses taught, we are typically given the interpretation that Jesus wants us to be in one accord with each other -- united together -- one mind -- one body -- one soul -- to be the church, undivided in message and in bearing
            -- and I think that is true -- I certainly do agree that Jesus wanted us to be one with each other -- we have even taken that thought as our vision for Koinonia Church -- to do life together -- to be in fellowship and unity and accord with each other
            -- but I think Jesus' meaning may go a little deeper than that -- if you think about it, how does a group of people coming together as one demonstrate to the world that Jesus had been sent from the Father? -- we have groups of people who come together in unity all the time, but what does that show? -- how does that change what anyone else believes?
            -- for instance, back in 1997, the Promise Keepers organization organized a gathering of one million men at the National Mall in Washington, D.C. -- the purpose was to show the country a group of men united under the Lordship of Jesus Christ -- coming together in unity and in one accord -- regardless of denomination or race or anything else -- living out these verses that we just read
            -- but what impact did this gathering have on the country? -- did this gathering -- this demonstration of unity -- result in a change in the hearts and minds and beliefs of the rest of the country? -- did it cause them to all of a sudden realize that Jesus had come from the Father for them? -- no, I don't think it did -- so was Jesus wrong in His prayer when He prayed that we would be one so that the world would know that He had come?
            -- of course not, but perhaps we have misunderstood what He meant -- or not taken it to a deeper level than what we read on the surface

            -- when you think about Jesus being one with the Father, what does that mean? -- it means He lived in perfect harmony with God, right? -- He was one with God -- everything He did was in perfect accord with the Father's will -- He was not divided in His actions or thoughts or attitudes, but He was in God and one with God in all things, right?
            -- so when Jesus prays to the Father and asks that we might be one with Him -- that we might be united so that the world might see Jesus through us -- could He perhaps not only be referring to us being united as a group, but as individuals -- whole and unified in our thoughts, attitudes, and actions?

            -- here's what came to me this week as I pondered these verses in light of my recent conversations about the drudgery of work -- I think our problem with work today stems from the fact we live divided lives -- we have become a bipolar people -- separated along two planes -- the secular and the sacred -- the everyday, normal life and the spiritual life -- and because of this, our minds and our actions and our thoughts are divided
            -- we have unintentionally become the people that outsiders say live one way at church but live another way during the week -- and because we are living this way, we believe that what we do outside of church is less important, less holy, less sacred, less desirable than what we do in church -- thus, work becomes a burden -- work becomes drudgery -- something we have to do rather than something we get to do

            -- when Jesus talked about us being one as He is one, I think He may also have been referring to the way we live our individual lives -- I think He may have been praying that we would be one with the Father in all our ways
            -- when Jesus lived here on earth, everything He did was pleasing to His Father -- there was no separation between the secular and the sacred -- Jesus was fully man, and yet even as He went about His days here on earth as a man, He lived a perfect, sinless life -- His actions were always consistent and always holy -- as He prepared and ate His meals, as He worked in His father's carpentry shop, as He traveled from place to place -- doing what we would call mundane works -- still He was in perfect accord with the Father -- still He was one with the Father
            -- everything He did was an offering to God and brought Him glory -- Jesus was no less holy when He was with His disciples in the boat fishing or when He was making a yoke for oxen than when He was teaching in the temple about the kingdom of God
            -- and that is what He demands of us -- to be one with the Father at all times -- one with Him and one in Him -- so that all we do is a holy offering to Him -- whether we are talking about the mundane tasks of life or the gathering with other Christians for worship
            -- this is what I want you to get -- if we are one in Christ -- He in us and us in Him -- then every moment of every day is a sacred moment -- every moment is a moment for God to be glorified through our actions -- even our moments at work and at school
            -- think about what Jesus meant when He said in John 8:29, "I always do the things that please the Father" -- He wasn't just talking about His healings and His miracles and His teachings -- He wasn't just talking about the spiritual things He was doing -- He was talking about every aspect of His human life, including what we would term work
            -- as Tozer put it, we are to "lift every act up into a living kingdom and turn the whole life into a sacrament"2 -- we are to view the mundane and the secular -- our jobs and our work and our school -- as holy offerings to God, pleasing in His sight

            -- to be united in this way means to be united in our whole life -- our body, our mind, and our soul -- to be united in all aspects of our lives and in all the acts that we do -- no separation of the secular and the spiritual -- but one life lived for God and with God and through God

            -- you might be thinking, "Yes, but how?"
            -- the difference comes down to motive -- as Jesus carved out yokes in his father's carpentry shop, how did He view His work? -- as just another task of drudgery until the day was over? -- no, certainly not -- I am certain Jesus used His skills and His talents to make the best yoke possible, and when He was finished, He offered it up to the Father as a gift -- He viewed it as giving the Father His very best
            -- we should do the same as we go to work and to school -- every moment of every day we should consider our actions and remember the point of our work
            -- when God walked with Adam in the Garden during the cool of the day, what do you think they talked about? -- what do you think Adam said to God? -- I bet they talked about what Adam had done -- I can just see Adam pointing over to a stand of trees and saying, "See there, God? -- I pruned those branches for You -- I pruned those trees so they would be more productive -- I tried to do a good job because I wanted You to be proud -- what do You think?"
            -- that's the attitude we should be taking all the time -- we should stop thinking of our spiritual lives as occurring only when we are at church or doing churchy stuff -- but start thinking about how we are pleasing God even when we do what we consider mundane, secular tasks -- even when we are at work
            -- on my desk at work I have a scripture reference that I use to center me when I'm having a particularly rough day -- Ephesians 6:7 -- "Serve wholeheartedly, as if you were serving the Lord and not people" -- if your motive is to bring glory to God -- if your motive is to sanctify the Lord in your heart through your actions -- then you will never do another common act -- but all you do will be good and acceptable to God through Jesus Christ
            -- I like the way A.W. Tozer phrased it -- "For such a man, living itself will be sacramental and the whole world a sanctuary"2

            -- this is what it means to be whole -- to be united -- to be holy in all that we do -- and I think that is closer to the heart of Jesus' prayer in this passage -- not that we would just come together as a group of people with shared beliefs, but that we might live our lives in such a way that others will see Him through us -- at work -- at school -- at play -- as well as at church

III.  CLOSING
            -- let me close by leaving you with this thought -- we are all familiar with the story of the Last Supper -- of Jesus' final gathering with His disciples in the Upper Room on the night that He was betrayed -- and, as you remember, on that night, Jesus took upon Himself the role of a slave and got up and put a robe around Himself and washed the feet of the disciples who were gathered at the table with Him
            -- that moment is holy for us -- although some denominations may differ in what acts they define as sacraments, everyone agrees that this was a sacred moment -- that the washing of the disciple's feet by Jesus was a moment of holiness and grace
            -- but, I want you to consider this -- on that very night in Jerusalem, hundreds of slaves in that city did the exact same thing in other rooms -- hundreds of slaves got up and washed the feet of those gathered to share in that evening's meal -- but yet we don't regard their actions as holy or sacred -- why?
            -- it comes down to motive -- it comes down to intent -- Jesus washed the feet of the disciples -- a common, ordinary act of drudgery and service -- but He did so with the intent to glorify the Father -- He did so with the intent to make this a sacred moment
            -- you can do the same in your own life -- every moment can be a sacred moment -- every moment at work or at school or at play can be a moment of holiness if it is offered up to God -- if your intent and your motive at that moment is not to just get the job done, but to do this act as an act of service and sacrifice to your God
            -- to turn the secular sacred, we have to remember intentionality -- we have to be doing these acts with the intention of bringing glory to God

            -- A writer for a great newspaper once visited India -- while there, he met a missionary nurse who lived among the lepers and ministered to their needs -- he noticed how tender and loving she was to these poor souls who were afflicted with this horrible, contagious disease
            -- Looking at her in amazement, the reporter commented, "I would not wash their wounds for a million dollars." -- She responded by saying, "Neither would I, but I’d gladly do it for my Savior -- the only reward I am looking for is His smile of approval."3

            -- let me close by asking you this -- Why are you living the way that you are? -- Why are you working at your job all week long? -- Why do you do the things that you do and say the things that you say? -- Do you do it for personal gain, for the money, to climb the ladder of success? -- Is it an act of drudgery? -- a labor you toil at until the work day is over? -- Or do you go about your job with the mindset you are doing it all for the glory of God in Christ Jesus?3
           
            -- let me leave you with this thought from God's word -- Romans 12:1 taken from The Message, the paraphrase by Eugene Peterson:
            -- “So here’s what I want you to do, God helping you: Take your everyday, ordinary life – your sleeping, eating, going-to-work, and walking-around life – and place it before God as an offering. Embracing what God does for you is the best thing you can do for him.”
            -- let us pray
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 [Cited in sermon by Jerry Anselmi, "The Right Way to Work," http://www.sermoncentral.com/sermons/the-right-way-to-work-jeffery-anselmi-sermon-on-christian-values-39212.asp?page=0]
2 A.W. Tozer, The Pursuit of Holiness
3 Alan Smith, "God was a Carpenter," sermon on Sermon Central [http://www.sermoncentral.com/sermons/god-was-a-carpenter-alan-smith-sermon-on-workplace-evangelism-49113.asp?page=0]

No comments: