Wednesday, May 02, 2018

TRUE DEVOTION


When I was studying for a recent sermon message, I picked up the Spirit-Filled Life Bible to get a different perspective on the text.  This Bible had a footnote to the passage I was studying that offered the following definition of devotion:

“Devotion is concentration on a particular pursuit, purpose or course.”

That definition caused me to stop what I was doing, because I quickly realized how deficient my devotional time truly was.  We talk a lot in our spiritual communities about having a “quiet time” with God, about setting aside time each day for a “devotional period” with Him.  And I realized recently that I had not been very good at doing that in my own personal life.  When I turned to the Scriptures, it tended to be solely for the purpose of studying for a message for Sunday morning. 

So, I decided to make a change.  I purchased a One-Year Through the Bible book and began reading through the Bible using this as my guide.  And, since we all know we need a devotional, I purchased a devotional just put out by Craig Groeschel, the pastor of Life Church.  With these two resources in hand, I began the new year ready to grow closer to God.

And, I’ve done a good job, from a worldly standard.  I have kept up with my daily Bible study readings and am on track to read through the whole Bible this year.  And, every morning without fail, I have turned to Groeschel’s book and read the two page devotional.  Then, I’d check off my “Had Quiet Time with God” box on my internal daily checklist and go about my day, as happy and satisfied with my religious life as a Pharisee of old.

Is our devotion time a checkmark or quality time spent with God?

But when I read the definition of what true devotion should be -- “concentration on a particular pursuit, purpose, or cause” -- I realized I had not been having a devotional time as I thought.  Instead, I had merely been going through the motions and accomplishing a task without concentrating on the reason I was doing it.  I was studying the Bible without connecting with the God who was speaking these words over me and into me.  I was reading a devotional each day, without truly concentrating and reflecting on what God was saying in that reading and what He wanted me to do with it.

Reading that definition of devotion, I was reminded of Natalie Grant’s song, “More than Anything,” that points out what we should be seeking in our devotional times with God.  Let me share with you the chorus of this song:

“Help me want the Healer more than the healing
Help me want the Savior more than the saving
Help me want the Giver more than the giving
Help me want you Jesus more than anything
Help me want you Jesus more than anything”

I had been seeking the satisfaction of completion rather than seeking the presence of God.  Rather than drawing near to God during this time, I was just trying to rush through the daily readings to check a box.

In a true devotional time with God, we should be studying His word and spending time with Him.  We should be striving to overcome our fleshly tendencies to perform religious acts and trying to avoid the worldly distractions that cause us to miss His presence and His voice in our lives.  As the Spirit-Filled Life Bible says, devotion time should “shape [our] thinking as we devote time to prayer, to waiting on the Lord, and to praise and Thanksgiving.”

My devotional time needs some work.  How about yours?

No comments: