Monday, August 22, 2005

PROMISE KEEPERS -- ORLANDO



I just got back from a trip to a Promise Keepers rally in Orlando, FL (picture is from the Orlando conference borrowed from the official Promise Keepers site). I have been to several conferences in the past and have thoroughly enjoyed each. In fact, as I tell others, it was a Promise Keepers event in 1997 in Knoxville, TN, that reinvigorated my Christian walk, challenged me to be the man God called me to be, and set me off on the rollercoaster ride that ended up with my call to the ministry.

While there have been changes in the format as of late, I still get a lot out of them each time I go. There's just something about a group of 15,000 men, gathering together to sing "Holy, Holy, Holy" in total abandonment to God that stirs my soul and that causes me to want to do more and be more than I am. I was especially heartened this year, because I took a group from my church, four Godly men, who experienced for the first time a worship service of this magnitude and who saw how God was calling them back to their biblical responsibilities as the spiritual leaders in their household.

To the men who are reading this, let me encourage you to attend a Promise Keepers event if you have never done so. For me it was a life-changing event. It may be so for you, too.

2 comments:

John said...

Oh, wow! We were in the same city.

Gregory said...

Yes, I guess we were. I wonder, did the power of the Spirit that we felt in that arena spread throughout the city on that day.

The conference in Orlando was the very first conference I've been to where we were not confronted with protestors. It made me wonder if God's Spirit was not moving in a great way in that city.