Saturday, March 25, 2006

WEEKEND WITH THE MAN FROM GERASENES

Luke 8:26-37 (NIV) "They sailed to the region of the Gerasenes, which is across the lake from Galilee. When Jesus stepped ashore, he was met by a demon-possessed man from the town. For a long time this man had not worn clothes or lived in a house, but had lived in the tombs. When he saw Jesus, he cried out and fell at his feet, shouting at the top of his voice, "What do you want with me, Jesus, Son of the Most High God? I beg you, don't torture me!" For Jesus had commanded the evil spirit to come out of the man. Many times it had seized him, and though he was chained hand and foot and kept under guard, he had broken his chains and had been driven by the demon into solitary places. Jesus asked him, "What is your name?" "Legion," he replied, because many demons had gone into him. And they begged him repeatedly not to order them to go into the Abyss. A large herd of pigs was feeding there on the hillside. The demons begged Jesus to let them go into them, and he gave them permission. When the demons came out of the man, they went into the pigs, and the herd rushed down the steep bank into the lake and was drowned. When those tending the pigs saw what had happened, they ran off and reported this in the town and countryside, and the people went out to see what had happened. When they came to Jesus, they found the man from whom the demons had gone out, sitting at Jesus' feet, dressed and in his right mind; and they were afraid. Those who had seen it told the people how the demon-possessed man had been cured. Then all the people of the region of the Gerasenes asked Jesus to leave them, because they were overcome with fear. So he got into the boat and left."

In the past several years, this passage has taken on special meaning for me. Earlier, I had wondered how the people of Gerasenes could be so afraid of Jesus -- "overcome with fear" -- because of the great miracle that they had seen in their midst. But now, I understand.

A few years ago I was at a spiritual retreat when I was confronted with a demoniac, a man possessed by a demon. Now I know that there are a couple of camps on this issue. First, there are those who say that the Bible is really referring to the mentally insane when it refers to the demon-possessed and that there is no such thing as demon possession. Then, there is the camp that sees a demon behind every tree and a demon in every person who disagrees with them. These are the ones who join in with Flip Wilson and say, "The Devil made me do it," when things go wrong in their life. The rest of us are somewhere in the middle in the gradient between "no demons" and "demons everywhere." I was definitely middle-of-the-road, believing in demon possession in biblical times but not seriously considering it in our modern times. But then I went on this spiritual retreat.

I had hung out with this guy over the course of the weekend. Nice guy. Good, faithful church-goer. Real friendly. Nothing out of the ordinary with him at all. But then, in the middle of one service, as we were encouraged to go to the altar and make a public confession of a sin or habit that we were going to give to the Lord, something happened as he started to move. From the first step he took, the thought popped in my head, "There's a demon controlling him." It was like he could not move on his own accord. His movements were labored, jerky, and like he was picking up hundreds of pounds of weight with every movement of his legs and arms. A grimace crossed his face. And as he knelt at the altar, the most unearthly scream was released as he jumped up, whirled around, and strode defiantly out of the sanctuary. I found myself standing and moving towards him, not really knowing what I was doing or why I was doing it. Then he looked at me, and in his eyes I saw such a malevolent expression of evil and hatred that I was stopped cold. He left the sanctuary and outside, he was stopped and the men there laid hands on him and prayed for him and the demon left him. He accepted Jesus as his Lord and Savior at that moment and has been living a transformed life ever since.

Two things happened on that weekend. First, I became a believer in the unseen spiritual world. I now knew, beyond the shadow of a doubt, that demons were real, and that scared me more than it should have. But, it also affirmed that the other side was real too, and that angels were in our world serving and ministering to us as described in Hebrews.

Secondly, I became a Gerasene. Rather than rejoicing over the fact that a tormented life has been set free, I became afraid of being around this man. I avoided him the rest of the weekend, and hoped that things would get back to normal. But, every now and then, I would run into him in our area and we would smile and nod at each other and I'd make a direct beeline away from him. It unnerved me being in his presence. It shouldn't, but like I said, I became a Gerasene. I witnessed something extremely frightening and became very fearful.

Well, to end a long story, just a couple of weeks ago I had the occasion to spend the weekend with this guy at another spiritual retreat. I was very apprehensive, to say the least, but through the weekend I witnessed the power of God working in his life as he ministered to the other men in that place. It was humbling to see a life so sold out and transformed for Christ. But, I still found myself feeling rather nervous in his presence, which is not what I should be doing. I should be rejoicing that his life was changed through the power of God.

So, since this last weekend, I am trying to change my interpretation of the events of that day in the sanctuary a few years ago. My focus has been on the presence of the demon in that place. It was scary. It was evil. It shook me and my beliefs to the core. But, I was wrong. My focus should have been on Christ. On the One who overpowered the demon in this man's life and who set him free. On the One who has all the authority on heaven and on earth and on Him who is greater than he who is in the world.

For the few who are still reading at this point, let me share with you this thought. Whether you believe in demon possession or not, let me ask you how you react to someone whose life has been drastically changed through the presence of God. Say a notorious sinner comes into your sanctuary, bound up in their sin. Someone you would not want to associate with or sit next to or even be seen in the company of. Someone that you might have been scared to be around if you had met them in any other place. Let's say they go to the altar and have a life-changing experience and are freed of their sins through the power of the Holy Spirit. Are you able to look at them with new eyes? Are you able to look at them with a fresh perspective? Or are you allowing their past to keep you from loving them as your new Christian brother or sister?

I have, for years, opined that the church is not doing a good job at making disciples. We do o.k. at getting people to the altar and getting them to the point of justification. But we don't do so good at picking them up from the altar and walking with them as they grow in maturity in Christ. Perhaps we are too much like the Gerasenes, letting the past keep us from helping our new brothers and sisters in Christ grow in grace. The first step, I think, is in recognizing and admitting our problem.

My name is Greg, and I'm a Gerasene....

10 comments:

Susan Gillespie said...

Thank you, brother, for your testimony!

Raceah said...

Thank you for your testimony. We are always learning and it is nothing short of amazing how God reveals all things hidden in our nooks and crannies.

Nincompoop said...

Excellent testimoney Greg! I wonder though if they were also afraid of the power of God...like when the Israelites saw the power of God descend upon Mt. Sinai when Moses when up...they were afraid even though Moses and the elders went up on the mountain. It makes me think that the Gerasenes asked Jesus and the disciples to leave out of fear of the power of God...out fear of change...out of fear of the necessity to change from their evil ways. In other words, they knew they were unrighteous and chose to avoid choosing Christ.

Darlene M said...

Thank you, Sir, for sharing your testimony. I appreciate your honesty and your willingness to peer into this mystery of the kingdom. I must confess, I also have my Gerasene moments.
This surly is a road of choice we walk. Our greatest choice is to embrace a new life of acceptance through the shed blood of the Lamb.
My personal failure to consistently accept and speak the truth in love is my constant reminder, "I need a Savior."
I was someone who spent her teenage years and several years of her adult life determined to keep control of her own will and offer God the leftovers. It was this passage of Scripture in Mark 5, that led me to face the reality of my life.
As I took hold of courage and peered into my life as a Gerasene, I was granted the humbling, soul-searching moment of meditating on verses 6, 12 and 13.
I had to ask myself, do I have the hunger and the desperation this man had? Am I in such a place that I see Jesus while He is still a long way off?
When I see Him will I run to Him instead of away from Him? How do we cross the threshold of self and embrace the compassion of Christ...the compassion He showed...even for the tormented and begging demons...I am confident He knew their fate was sealed...yet, He answered their request...the cost to the townspeople was steep, as steep as the cliff the thousand pigs jumped from. I sit back in awe of the wonder working power of our Lord. How He turns bad into good.
He most graciously prepared the ones who rejected Him.
He pierced the people hearts with the loss of what was holding them captive to sin. In the area of survival, we all receive ears to hear.
For the ministry this set-free-to-serve-man was about to enter into, Jesus made a way where there seemed to be no way. Glorious!
Can we ever see the entire picture as Jesus saw? Can we ever be gripped so purposefully with the love of Christ that we see the end from the beginning?
I know of only one way...complete surrender of my will, my right to myself, at the foot of the empty cross. It is the best view available to see the family of God through His eyes and not my own.
In a brief encounter with what appeared to be a hopeless town filled with shame and fear, Jesus did exactly what He came to do. To love with the love that sets all captives free.
My prayer is that we each learn to genuinely encourage and strengthen one another as believers and followers of our risen King.
For the way is narrow and we each need the truth spoken in love from such a friend as Jesus.
Do we dare to ask ourselves the question, "Am I a friend to Jesus?" Does He smile at the mention of my name? Is He grieving over where I missed it today? Am I willing to confess, to lay it all down and receive His will over me, myself and I? Daily.
He has made the way, may we enter as the triumphant church, exalting His name! Amen.

dinkymomo said...

Was doing a google search on Gerasenes because I was wondering why they wanted Jesus to leave and came across your blog. It's always uplifting to read a fellow Christian's testimony. Thanks for sharing. May God richly bless your ministry.

Droy said...

I was also doing a little research on the Gerasenes and came across your blog. Thanks for your comments and your honesty! It's so easy to get in our own little church world and forget that these things do actually go on. You know, the church should be able to handle these things when they come and for the most part they do. But many of us do as you said. We are ready to retreat! But that's when we need to understand (as you said)and stand up and take charge as Jesus did cause our God is bigger that any devil! I pray that if I am confronted with the same situation that I will do the same!

Dwight

Anonymous said...

suppose Jesus did this exorcism in the desert (far from water);then the herd of pigs would've stampeded when the demons entered their bodies, but eventually settled down after becoming "pooped out". Hey:demons go to hell, so maybe hell is in the warm bodies of animals--get it? read Psalm 49:12,20! even young lions starve to death there-it's sa huge prison where they hav heartworms, gnashing of teeth, and fleas and ticks and worms crawling
under their hide; but "god's servants eat and drink(Isaiah65).
As in parable of lazarus, no one would believe it, even if someone
came back from th dead and esxplained it to them? (COMPRE?)

brother john said...

Greg:
I just came across your article looking for a map of the Gerasenes. Google thought I might like to read your article too. and I am glad I did.
We are always afraid of what we do not understand, even many times if the problem has been resolved. That was why the apostles in the verses just before this were afraid of Jesus. They just did not understand him and even though he was there with them, they still saw in him something other.
They, like you, saw a guy who was occupied by demons. That was something completely out of their mind set. Even after he had been delivered they were still not on the same life page as he. I read that the men who walked on the moon had problems later in life. I would imagine it is some of the same thing. People were probably almost afraid of them. They had truly been where few men had gone before. So had this demon-possessed man. And the knowledge of the experience was too much to be easily handled.
I would imagine that the man had problems with this too. Mary Magdalene had been come from the same background and she was always perceived differently, I think.
That you for your comments. I hope mine haven’t been too long. I think I will reason some more of yours. God bless you.

John Cliver
Boonville, MO
stuffandcoffee.blogspot.com

brother john said...

Greg:
I just came across your article looking for a map of the Gerasenes. Google thought I might like to read your article too. and I am glad I did.
We are always afraid of what we do not understand, even many times if the problem has been resolved. That was why the apostles in the verses just before this were afraid of Jesus. They just did not understand him and even though he was there with them, they still saw in him something other.
They, like you, saw a guy who was occupied by demons. That was something completely out of their mind set. Even after he had been delivered they were still not on the same life page as he. I read that the men who walked on the moon had problems later in life. I would imagine it is some of the same thing. People were probably almost afraid of them. They had truly been where few men had gone before. So had this demon-possessed man. And the knowledge of the experience was too much to be easily handled.
I would imagine that the man had problems with this too. Mary Magdalene had been come from the same background and she was always perceived differently, I think.
That you for your comments. I hope mine haven’t been too long. I think I will reason some more of yours. God bless you.

John Cliver
Boonville, MO
stuffandcoffee.blogspot.com

brother john said...

Greg:
I just came across your article looking for a map of the Gerasenes. Google thought I might like to read your article too. and I am glad I did.
We are always afraid of what we do not understand, even many times if the problem has been resolved. That was why the apostles in the verses just before this were afraid of Jesus. They just did not understand him and even though he was there with them, they still saw in him something other.
They, like you, saw a guy who was occupied by demons. That was something completely out of their mind set. Even after he had been delivered they were still not on the same life page as he. I read that the men who walked on the moon had problems later in life. I would imagine it is some of the same thing. People were probably almost afraid of them. They had truly been where few men had gone before. So had this demon-possessed man. And the knowledge of the experience was too much to be easily handled.
I would imagine that the man had problems with this too. Mary Magdalene had been come from the same background and she was always perceived differently, I think.
Thank you for your comments. I hope mine haven’t been too long. I think I will reason some more of yours. God bless you.

John Cliver
Boonville, MO
stuffandcoffee.blogspot.com