Saturday, April 08, 2006

FILING SERMONS AND ILLUSTRATIONS?

In an attempt to control a chaotic life and quit losing things on a regular basis, I am in the process of trying to organize and file. I've got a label maker, and I'm not scared to use it. My wife is walking around worried that once I get my bookshelf labeled, I'm going to start on the doors, walls, etc. In my mind, it never hurts to have something labeled!

I have already organized some of my books, my CDs, and my DVDs. Now, I'm starting on the big stuff -- trying to get my electronic files in some order where I can look up sermons, illustrations, quotes, or references and easily put my hands on them.

I downloaded "Sermon Library" software for this purpose (shareware available at PCMag.com), but it isn't the total answer. It does pretty good on filing sermons, but it doesn't do so well at filing illustrations or quotes.

Does anybody have any suggestions on how I can file illustrations and quotes in electronic format in a searchable format, either using standard software that comes with most computers or other free or relatively inexpensive software? How do you file your references and illustrations?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I simply have my outline, my sermon, powerpoint, other illustrations in one folder (electronic) and burn them to a CD/DVD on a 8 week basis. I get about 8 weeks worth of stuff on a CD. even several minute video illustrations. I have developed an Access database that I update with revelant references as to the sermon/illustrations/etc. and uses a search lookup feature for keywords.