Monday, September 20, 2004

Dealing with Difficult People

How well do you deal with the difficult people in your life? You know the ones -- the ones who just set your teeth on edge and make your hair stand up. They may be part of your family -- they may be friends -- or they may just be strangers you meet in the course of a day. Regardless, we all know difficult people.

When we encounter such people, usually we think, "Why won't that person change? Why can't that person change their behavior, personality, etc.?" But one biblical principle stands true. We cannot change another person. It is for that reason that we should never look to another person for happiness or contentment. Other people cannot please us. It is a fact.

But, there is another biblical principle that we need to keep in mind. Only the Holy Spirit has the ability to effect true change in a person, whether we are talking about the difficult people in our life or ourselves. When we realize that the only person, then, who can really change in a situation is ourself, then we can pray that the Holy Spirit changes us to help make the situation better. Also, we can quit trying to "fix" the other person and pray that God will work in their lives as He knows best.

I ran across a prayer the other day that will help us in praying for these difficult people in our lives. Hopefully, through this prayer, the Holy Spirit will effect change in us and in the other person as well.

"Lord, I am not in control of this person. I have tried everything and it's not working. I can't fix this other person. But I know that I do have control over my own heart and how I act and react. Please reveal to me those places in my heart where I need to get right with you. Change my heart and rebuild those places where I have fallen short. Lord, give me your eyes so that I can see this person as you see them. Give me your heart, so I can begin loving this person as you love them. And please forgive me for those times I have fallen short and have been selfish. Please help me to be the person you have called me to be. In Jesus' mighty name I pray. Amen."

No comments: