Saturday, March 05, 2016

SERMON: THE HAND ON THE TABLE




17 January 2016

I.  Introduction
            -- turn in Bibles to Mark 14:12-21

Mark 14:12-21 (NIV)
12 On the first day of the Feast of Unleavened Bread, when it was customary to sacrifice the Passover lamb, Jesus' disciples asked him, "Where do you want us to go and make preparations for you to eat the Passover?"
13 So he sent two of his disciples, telling them, "Go into the city, and a man carrying a jar of water will meet you. Follow him.
14 Say to the owner of the house he enters, 'The Teacher asks: Where is my guest room, where I may eat the Passover with my disciples?'
15 He will show you a large upper room, furnished and ready. Make preparations for us there."
16 The disciples left, went into the city and found things just as Jesus had told them. So they prepared the Passover.
17 When evening came, Jesus arrived with the Twelve.
18 While they were reclining at the table eating, he said, "I tell you the truth, one of you will betray me--one who is eating with me."
19 They were saddened, and one by one they said to him, "Surely not I?"
20 "It is one of the Twelve," he replied, "one who dips bread into the bowl with me.
21 The Son of Man will go just as it is written about him. But woe to that man who betrays the Son of Man! It would be better for him if he had not been born."

            -- to paraphrase from a devotional I read this week, “anyone who believes all dogs go to heaven has never had a German shorthaired pointer”1

            -- not long after Kim and I started dating, I fell in love with German shorthaired pointers -- or maybe I should say, I fell in the love with the idea of a German shorthaired pointer
            -- to me, they were the ideal dog -- versatile dogs that you could take quail hunting in the morning or hog hunting in the evening -- tough as nails -- short hair -- docked tail -- easy care -- better retrievers even than labradors or golden retrievers
            -- these were dogs who could go anywhere and do anything -- who could stay out in the field and never get tired -- and as I was starting my career as a wildlife biologist, I had these visions of being in the field with a loyal German shorthaired pointer there at my side -- tracking big game and doing research on quail -- but little did I know the truth about this breed
            -- so Kim indulges my fads and fancies, and the very first present she ever gave me was a German shorthaired pointer puppy I called Hawk -- and I loved that dog, but it bothered me that every time I would go out with a bunch of people, Hawk would leave me and follow them -- even when I called him back, he wouldn’t come -- Kim said it was because I was trying to make him obey and do what is right, and since he was a puppy, he just wanted to rebel, but eventually he’d come around -- he didn’t -- he actually wandered off one day and never came back and I never saw him again
            -- but by that time, I was convinced this was the breed for me -- and Kim and I had made acquaintances with a nationally known breeder in Lawrenceville and when she had a litter of really nice puppies, I agreed to buy one without even asking Kim first -- and so begins the story of Angel

            -- never, never name a dog Angel -- especially a German shorthaired pointer -- if I thought my first dog had a rebellious streak, he had nothing on this hell-hound -- Angel was strong-willed, obstinate, rebellious to a fault -- she was going to do what she wanted and it didn’t matter whether you yelled “No” at the top of your voice or you ran her down and whipped her -- I tried every dog-training trick in the book, and nothing worked -- this dog refused to obey and continued on a willful path of destruction and rebellion
            -- I just want to share with you one story about Angel that just really sums up who this dog was
            -- we were taking Angel to be bred in Atlanta to a very high quality dog -- I was driving her down from Tennessee to Atlanta in the back of the Isuzu pickup with camper top I used to own -- Kim asked me to stop along the way and pick up some special dog food she had ordered and to deliver a couple bags in Atlanta and bring the rest home
            -- Angel had a problem with food -- she would eat anything and everything she could -- She once ate 40 pounds of dog food in one sitting before we found her -- so I said to Kim, “Where am I supposed to put 400 pounds of dogfood?” -- Kim said, “Just put it in the back with Angel -- it’s in a sealed bag, she won’t mess with it”
            -- now we had to lock the camper top to keep it closed -- so after I loaded the dogfood at the store, I put Angel back in the truck, and locked the camper top and dropped the keys in my pocket -- and I am telling the truth here
            -- that dog looked at me through the back glass -- and then she looked down at the dog food bags she was standing on in the back of the truck -- and then she looked at me again -- I believe that dog realized I couldn’t get to her as fast as she could get to that dog food -- and we both knew it
            -- I said, “No -- Angel, No” -- and she looked at me for one more second and then dove head first into that dog food, ripping the bag open with her teeth and her claws -- and just started gobbling food up
            -- all the while I’m yelling, “No,” and beating on the glass and trying to get the key out of my pocket so I could stop this dog from killing herself -- I finally got the back open and had to drag the dog out of the truck, with her steadily crunching dog food the whole way -- she ended up riding in the front of the truck with me all the way to Atlanta, looking mournfully through the sliding glass window at the dog food laying in the back

II.  Prone to Wander
            -- now this message is not really just about German shorthaired pointers -- but I bring all this up about Angel because I see in her who we are as Christians
            -- it reminds me of the story of Robert Robinson, the author of the hymn, "Come, Thou Fount of Every Blessing" -- there’s a stanza in that hymn that speaks of our tendency to do and to be just like a German shorthaired pointer in the back of the truck standing on dog food
            -- Robinson wrote: "prone to wander, Lord, I feel it -- prone to leave the God I love -- here's my heart, O take and seal it -- seal it for thy courts above"
            -- that’s us -- even as Christians, we are still prone to wander away from God -- prone to leave the God we love and to do what He would not want us to do -- even as He calls to us through His word and through His Spirit and says, “No, don’t do that” -- we look at Him and start tearing open the bags of sin we’re standing on and start gobbling up that which is not good for us
            -- it’s like the Apostle Paul said in Romans 7:15-20

Romans 7:15-20 (NIV)
15 I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
16 And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good.
17 As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me.
18 I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out.
19 For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing.
20 Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.

            -- just as Robinson said in his hymn, the Apostle Paul cries out in these verses and laments, “prone to wander, Lord, I feel it -- prone to leave the God I love”
            -- like it or not, this is who we are -- just like Robert Robinson -- just like the Apostle Paul -- all of us have this tendency in our lives to wander away -- to drift from God and from His word

            -- it’s so easy to see this time of the year -- how many of you made New Year’s resolutions? -- I did -- I had gained a few pounds over Thanksgiving and Christmas and I was going to buckle down and really lose that weight and even drop down to a goal I had set -- 2016 was going to be the year that I got into shape again -- and here we are at Day 17 and I haven’t lost a pound -- in fact, I have gained 6 pounds since I started my New Year’s resolution -- left to my own devices, I give in to sin every single time

            -- but here’s the good news -- Jesus knows -- Jesus knows that we have this tendency in our lives and so He warns us about it in His word

III.  Scripture Lesson: Surely, not I (Mark 14:12-21)
            -- look back at this passage in the Book of Mark
           
            -- Mark 14:12-16

Mark 14:12-16 (NIV)
12 On the first day of the Feast of Unleavened Bread, when it was customary to sacrifice the Passover lamb, Jesus' disciples asked him, "Where do you want us to go and make preparations for you to eat the Passover?"
13 So he sent two of his disciples, telling them, "Go into the city, and a man carrying a jar of water will meet you. Follow him.
14 Say to the owner of the house he enters, 'The Teacher asks: Where is my guest room, where I may eat the Passover with my disciples?'
15 He will show you a large upper room, furnished and ready. Make preparations for us there."
16 The disciples left, went into the city and found things just as Jesus had told them. So they prepared the Passover.

            -- in this passage, we read Mark's account of the Last Supper -- Jesus and His disciples were getting ready to celebrate the Passover meal -- and since they were just visitors to Jerusalem, His disciples didn't know where they would be holding the meal
            -- so Jesus told them to go into the city and they would find a man carrying jars of water -- they were to follow him home and say to the owner of the house, `The Teacher asks: Where is my guest room, where I may eat the Passover with my disciples?' He will show you a large upper room, furnished and ready. Make preparations for us there."
            -- so the disciples went on their way and found everything just as Jesus said -- they got the upper room in that house ready and now the 13 of them were relaxing around the table, sharing together the Passover Seder -- the traditional Jewish meal held each Passover
            -- but rather than being a time of joyous celebration, you get the sense that there was a pall over that evening -- a foreshadowing of the events to come

            -- verse 17-21

17 When evening came, Jesus arrived with the Twelve.
18 While they were reclining at the table eating, he said, "I tell you the truth, one of you will betray me--one who is eating with me."
19 They were saddened, and one by one they said to him, "Surely not I?"
20 "It is one of the Twelve," he replied, "one who dips bread into the bowl with me.
21 The Son of Man will go just as it is written about him. But woe to that man who betrays the Son of Man! It would be better for him if he had not been born."

            -- now, we all know the end of the story -- we all know that it was Judas Iscariot who betrayed Jesus into the hands of the high priest for 30 pieces of silver -- that it was Judas Jesus was primarily talking about -- but I think He’s saying more here than just calling Judas out -- I think there is a message for us, if we will but listen
            -- when Jesus tells His chosen disciples in verse 18 that one of them will betray Him, look at their response -- verse 19

19 They were saddened, and one by one they said to him, "Surely not I?"

            -- "surely not I?"
            -- Jesus was pointing out to them something that every single one of the disciples knew deep down in their heart -- every single one of those disciples -- Peter, James, John -- all of them -- asked Jesus that same question, “surely not I?”
            -- because every single one of them knew the truth that each of us knows in our own hearts -- the same truth that Robert Robinson knew in his heart when he penned those words, "prone to wander, Lord, I feel it -- prone to leave the God I love" and when the Apostle Paul wrote, “I do not understand why I do what I do”
            -- regardless of your relationship with Christ -- regardless of your position in the church -- regardless of whether you are a pastor or Sunday School teacher or worship leader or lay leader -- regardless of whether you are a Methodist or a Baptist or an Episcopalian -- we are all just one step away from being Judas -- just one step away from betraying our God

            -- left to our own devices, the normal tendency is for us to wander -- our flesh betrays us -- and so we give into temptation and disobey God and sin against Him -- and the whole point of this message is to make sure you know that
            -- it’s who we are -- it’s what we do -- but, like they say in Alcoholics Anonymous -- admitting you have a problem is the first step to getting better
            -- if we admit it -- if we remember that we are prone to wander -- that we default to disobedience and sin in our lives -- that will help us make better choices in the long run because we will be prepared when confronted with the daily temptations that afflict us all

            -- so how do we stop when we find ourselves drifting away from God -- when we see our resolve giving way?

            -- first, we have to make a choice to follow God and His commands -- John tells us that he wrote his epistle of 1 John so that we might not sin -- sin is a choice, but so is obedience -- in 1 John 2:6, “Whoever claims to live in Him must walk as Jesus did”
            -- so the first step in stopping the slide and the drift away from God is making a firm resolution and commitment to choose to obey rather than disobey

            -- secondly, we need to soften our hearts and to be open to the changes God wants to make in our lives -- we need to let Him mold us and shape us into the men and women He is calling us to be -- to not resist Him, but to work with Him -- Isaiah 64:8 says “We are the clay, You are the Potter; we are the work of Your hand” -- we need to trust God and let Him change us from the inside out

            -- third, we need to take action -- we can’t be passive Christians -- if we remain passive, then our natural bent will take over and we will start to drift away from God -- Peter writes in 1 Peter 1:13-14 “Therefore, prepare your minds for action; be self-controlled; set your hope fully on the grace to be given you when Jesus Christ is revealed. As obedient children, do not conform to the evil desires you had when you lived in ignorance.”
            -- since we are aware of our tendency to wander away from God, we need to prepare ourselves against it -- we need to be self-controlled and disciplined in our spiritual lives -- this means clinging to God -- staying in His word -- staying around His people -- talking to God in prayer -- worshiping God with our hearts and our voices -- serving Him with our ends -- the more we stick to God, the less likely we are to wander away

            -- finally, we need to trust God’s grace is greater than our tendency to wander away just as His grace is greater than our sin -- Jude 24 says: “To him who is able to keep you from falling and to present you before his glorious presence without fault and with great joy”
            -- did you hear what God said in that verse? -- God is able to keep us from falling -- God is able to keep us from wandering away -- from drifting into temptation and sin -- God is able...if we let Him -- if we trust Him and His grace to keep us close
            -- God’s grace is sufficient for us and can overcome our flesh and our hearts and our tendency to wander away   -- God wants us to rely on His power to do it through us -- we fail and wander away when we rely on ourselves rather than God
            -- Dave Guzik wrote, "more Christians are defeated on account of self-reliance than on account of Satanic attack" -- and the cartoon character Pogo said, "We have met the enemy, and he is us"
            -- new year’s resolutions fail because they are made in the power of man -- Christians fail because they try to live life in their own strength and their own power -- if we are to live differently and choose a different path, we must choose to live in the power of Christ -- Philippians 1:6 says, “He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus”
            -- a maturing faith moves us from self-reliance to God-reliance in all aspects of our spiritual and daily lives -- it is when we begin to rely on God and His grace that we overcome our tendency to turn away from Him in our lives

IV.  Closing
            -- so as I close, let me leave you with this thought -- don’t be like a German shorthaired pointer -- don’t go through life obstinate and continue to resist God and what He wants to do in us and through us
            -- recognize that you are prone to wander -- prone to leave the God you love -- set your mind and your heart against this tendency
            -- take action and stay close to God through His word and His people and through prayer and worship -- resolve to live for Him through His grace and power in this new year and trust Him to see you through
            -- we can overcome our sinful natures through the power of Christ in us -- but we must choose to do so daily
            -- let us pray

--------------------------------------------------
1 Sermon built on devotional, “The Prodigal Beagle,” by Steve Scott, “Faith Afield: A Sportsman’s Devotional”

No comments: