Wednesday, April 18, 2018

DISCIPLINE EQUALS FREEDOM AND SUCCESS


Last week I failed.  And not a little failure, but a big failure.  With a capital “F.” 

You see, I stepped on the scale at the start of last week and found I had gained over 10 pounds.  Despite my New Year’s resolutions to the contrary, I had gained weight.  And, not just a little weight, but a lot of weight.  An entire pant-sized gain.  An extra notch on the belt gain.  An “I can see it in your face” gain.  And, I felt devastated.

For the past 10 years or so, I have been trying to improve my health and overall fitness.  My father had open heart surgery at 57, and both my parents have had knee replacement surgeries and other health maladies.  My goal was to reverse those trends in my own life, and to get back in some kind of shape other than round.

So, 10 years ago, I started on my fitness journey.  I began dieting and exercising and watching what I ate.  I was meticulous in record-keeping -- counting calories, logging exercise, looking for trends.  I tried to eat healthy food -- to avoid excess sugar and desserts and to get rid of the other unhealthy habits I had acquired.  And, I saw results.  Over the course of the last 10 years, I lost
almost 60 pounds, and have been able to maintain my weight fairly constant over the past 4 years.

But, according to the scales and according to the measurements of my doctor, I was still obese.  When I looked around at work, I was still the biggest guy there.  So, I decided it was time to drop some more weight.  To finally get close to my “ideal” weight in the charts on the wall at the doctor’s office.  I began watching my diet closer -- exercised more -- tried to stay active and increase activity to five days a week instead of just three.  But then Thanksgiving.  And I thought, one dessert won’t matter -- just one piece of pecan pie won’t hurt.  I have been maintaining my weight for over four years, so just a little indulgence here and there will be quickly resolved.

But Thanksgiving turned into Christmas and then into New Years, and the little indulgences didn’t stop.  Then I got sick -- first with a bad cold and then the flu, both of which hampered my ability to exercise and my desire to eat healthy.  Nothing helps a sickness like a heaping bowl of Kraft macaroni and cheese!  In February, I began pastoring a new church, who had a tradition of a Second Sunday covered dish dinner on the grounds, and I didn’t want to hurt anyone’s feelings by not eating their dishes, so I just poured on more homemade macaroni and cheese, pasta, rice, etc.  All of which resulted in the distressing results when I climbed on the scale last Monday morning.

It’s easy to point to why this happened -- too much macaroni and cheese!  But, if you were to sum this up in one word, it would be a lack of discipline.  A lack of consistently following my goals of fitness, diet, and exercise.  A lack of discipline resulted in a failure to meet my health goals, plain and simple.  The same can happen in our spiritual lives, too.

The Bible teaches the principle of spiritual discipline -- of faithfulness in our spiritual lives through participation in the means of grace, such as reading the Bible, prayer, worship, and ministry.  Being disciplined enables you to be consistent with your faith and in your relationship with God.  And, over time, this leads you to become more and more like Jesus in your mind, heart, and soul.

Paul told Timothy in 1 Tim 4:7b-8 -- “Train yourself to be godly -- for physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come.” 

What does he mean by training yourself to be godly?  He means first defining your goal -- godliness -- becoming more and more like Jesus in your life.  That is where we want to go.

The question is how do we get there?  We get there by taking consistent actions that lead us in the direction we want to go.  Things like praying and reading God’s word.  Ministering to other people.  Worshiping God alone and in corporate settings.  Having a daily quiet time.  Reading a daily devotional.  In other words, being disciplined in your spiritual life by establishing habits that you do daily and without fail.  These lead you to grow in grace and to become more like Jesus.  So, discipline equals spiritual success and leads us to godliness.

I like the concept of discipline.  It works for me.  I do well when I establish structure in my life and form habits that I do every day.  It keeps me moving in the right direction, and it helps me make decisions in what to do and what not to do.

Thinking about this makes me realize just how perfect of a fit Methodism was for me.  I was raised in a Methodist Church and served as a pastor in Methodist churches.  Methodists obtained their name because of the methodical way the members were encouraged by John and Charles Wesley to train themselves in godliness.  They were given spiritual disciplines to follow daily and weekly, and by following these methodically, they grew closer to Christ in mind, soul, and spirit. 

In his book “Extreme Ownership,” Jocko Willink makes the following observations about the effectiveness of discipline in a team, specifically, among the members of the Navy Seal teams he helped train:

            -- “when individual members of the team are highly disciplined, they can be trusted, and therefore allowed to operate with very little oversite”
            -- “I knew they would act in a disciplined manner within the standards we had established -- professionally, ethically, tactically, and strategically”
            -- “they knew what was expected, and they executed accordingly”
            -- “they made decisions based on the disciplined structure we had -- the disciplined structure allowed them that freedom”

Willink’s overall point in his book is that discipline is not restrictive, but freeing.  He states that discipline equals freedom, because it allows you to meet your goals and not to take off in unplanned directions that could cause mission failure.

Spiritual discipline is something we should all consider in our Christian lives. Building spiritual habits will help us grow and make us more like Christ.  Training ourselves through these daily disciplines will turn into the people Christ intended us to be -- as Paul said, “for both the present life and the life to come.”  But, we have to start.

This week, I want to encourage you to pick up one spiritual habit and start to make it part of your daily routine.  Maybe it’s to pray every day.  Or to read one chapter from the Bible each night.  Whatever it is, just pick one spiritual discipline and practice it faithfully for the next 30 days and see what a difference it can make.


No comments: