Saturday, January 14, 2023

Finding God in Nature




I ran across these thoughts from Dave Black on his blog site, and they really spoke to me:

 "Sir Francis Bacon, the 17th century philosopher, once said that God has not written one book but two. He said that the first is the book of his work, which we call nature. And the second is the book of his word, which we call Scripture.

"Thus God has given us in nature and Scripture a double revelation of himself -- a revelation of his glory ("the heavens declare the glory of God") and a revelation of his grace ("by grace are you saved").
"You won't find the way of salvation in nature. As I said, nature is a revelation of God's glory. Scripture is a revelation of his grace. And God intends for us to study both of his revelations, so that nature study and Bible study go hand in hand.
"God has hidden his thoughts, as it were, in both nature and Scripture, and as we read and study both we are able to "think God's thoughts after him" (Johannes Kempler)." -- Dave Black

I think it was God's revelation through nature that first appealed to me and was directly responsible for my path into studying wildlife biology. As I began my secular career, I quickly absorbed the lesson from Genesis that we are called to be stewards of God's resources, and I applied that principle to my approach at wildlife management. To this day, I believe that God calls out to us from nature, and that, for some of us, it is in nature that we most clearly hear His voice.

No comments: