Thursday, November 24, 2005

ANNE RICE AND THE STORY OF THE BOY, JESUS

Years ago, I was an avid Anne Rice reader, although her works tended to be rather dark and violent and definitely without a Christian world-view. Knowing her writing style and her background in the occult/supernatural, I was curious about her most recent novel on the life of Jesus as a child. I have yet to read this novel, but I have read some reviews of it and an interview with Rice herself. Evidently, she was recently converted to Christianity and is now a practicing Catholic.

Here is an excellent review written by Ben Witherington on the novel. I will post my own review after I have read the novel.

If you plan on reading this novel by Rice or any other fictional novel, let me be sure and remind you that they are FICTION. They may be based on historical facts, but they are fictional accounts and may have taken liberties with the truth, both historically and theologically.

For instance, the bestseller, "The Davinci Code," is an excellent case where the author took a few scattered historical truths and a couple of rumors and myths and blended them into a compelling mystery story that is absolutely incorrect in its theological presentation. I actually had some friends come to me after the book was published saying that they believed everything in the book and wanting to know where to get these "correct" gospels the book mentioned and wanted to know why the church had suppressed the truth. Let's make sure that fiction stays fiction and is enjoyed as such without taking it in a sense that the author never (I hope) intended. As always, be like the Bereans and test everything against the Word.

4 comments:

Greg Hazelrig said...

Hey Greg. Know what you mean about taking fiction as fiction. I was in my first appointment and in seminary while reading the "Left Behind" series. I was reading it as "fiction" for my enjoyment. Yet when a member found out, she naturally wanted to talk about it and how it was all going to take place. She didn't like it when I told her that this was not the word of God. And that is just what we discussed in seminary (a professor and some of us friends). Many people thought (and probably still do) that Lahaye and Jenkins were some divine authors bringing the word of God to the people.

IT'S FICTION FOLKS !! Also, if they were so divine, how come they changed from 7 books to 10? $$$$$

Anyway, thanks for the post.

Greg Hazelrig said...

OOPS. I read your top post and then read the following one after commenting. Talk about sticking my foot in my mouth. ha ha.

Actually, I beleive that Revelation is not a roadmap. I believe that Jesus will come back and that we who are alive will meet him in the sky. I also believe that at that time he will separate the sheep from the goats.

But that is only my humble opinion. As you said on your other post, this issue is not a matter of salvation, but of interpretation.

Just wanted to clear that up and to say that I wasn't trying to attack your belief there.

Gregory said...

No problems here. I don't care if we get raptured or if Jesus just comes back in glory, I'm just ready to get on the bus and go....

I know what you mean about some treating LaHaye and Jenkins as prophets. I actually heard about someone that got so caught up in the story that she was praying for one of the characters. I enjoy fiction, but I like to keep it for entertainment. By the way, I'm reading "The Last Disciple" by Hank Hanegraff and Sigmund Brouwer that presents an alternative view of Revelation than the Left Behind series.

Greg Hazelrig said...

My goodness. She was actually praying for the character in the book?

Let me know how you like that book. I may pick it up later when I'm not so behind on what I'm trying to get read now.

Btw. I added you to the list this morning and you should have rececived a thought of the day. Thanks for joining the mailing list.

Also, did your church ever decide what to do in supporting a ministry on the coast? Email me when you get a chance and let me know how things went.