Sunday, November 06, 2005

THOUGHTS ON A CHRISTIAN CONCERT

O.K. I have a confession to make. I like contemporary Christian music. In fact, since a new contemporary Christian radio station finally made it's way into south Georgia about three years ago, I have (almost) completely switched over to the genre.

I know. I've heard the critics. First there's those who say the music lacks depth, it lacks integrity, it lacks style. It is just a cheap imitation of secular pop and rock music with the lyrics changed to talk about Jesus instead of love. And I have to admit, there may be some truth in that charge, at least for a few bands. And, there are a few bands out there that seem to be in it only for the money. But, the majority of the Christian groups out there are producing their own style of music, built around the truth of the gospel, which brings up the second major complaint of the critics.

Some say that the music on the Christian stations waters down the gospel to make it palatable for secular audiences. And, if you listen to a lot of Christian radio, you would have to agree that a large majority of the bands out there do that. They seem to steer away from actually mentioning Jesus by name or by really getting the message of the gospel across to those who are listening. But then, there are some who are.

Last night I went to a Casting Crowns concert here in Valdosta. Casting Crowns is a Georgia-based band that burst on the contemporary Christian scene about 2 years ago and who have been making waves ever since. The members of the band are youth pastors or are involved in other ministries, and their songs reach out and touch our younger generations in a way that few other bands do. Their songs not only mention Jesus by name, but they are very "in-your-face" in regards to the way that we do church.

For instance, in their song "If We Are the Body," the group tells the story of a girl who comes to church but is teased by the other girls and leaves. The chorus says, "If we are the body, then why aren't His arms reaching, why aren't His hands healing, why aren't His words teaching? If we are the body, why aren't His feet going? Why is His love not showing them there is a way?" Last night in the concert, Mark Hall, the lead singer, said that this song was written about a real girl who came to his youth group one night and who was teased by other girls in the group. On their current album, they continue to raise questions that challenge us as Christians and the Church. In "Stained Glass Masquerade" they raise the question of hypocrisy and ask if the church is just full of painted plastic people hiding behind our masks, and in another song they ask if we even notice the people in the shadow of our steeples who need our help.

I was very impressed with the concert last night. It was more than a concert -- it was a worship event. They discussed why their songs were written -- the stories behind the music and the events that had shaped their lives and their ministry. And, a first for me, they had an intermission where an evangelist came out and spoke to the (primarily) teen-aged crowd in the place. Several hundred people were saved last night at the altar call following the message.

So, despite what all the critics say, contemporary Christian music is touching people and God is using it to change lives. Maybe it's not for everyone. Maybe it's not for you. But let's not criticize something that God is using to reach teens for the kingdom.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gregory,
I have faced a similar challenge from two of my coworkers. They beleive that Psalm 150 is the only basis for music that is acceptible to God. I read it,(and have discussed with my Sunday School class) and cannot see their objection to this style of music. Thanks for taking the time to share this topic. It helps settle the issue in my mind.

David Babecki -
Member
Martha Bowman UMC Macon

Greg Hazelrig said...

I've loved Contemporary Christian music for a long time now. My favorites are the more upbeat or fast paced groups. I guess this stems from my "heathen" childhood where I grew up on very non-Christian groups.

Some of my favorites are Audio Adreneline, DC Talk, Three Crosses, Big Tent Revival, Newsboys, OC Supertones and Jars of Clay.

Tony said...

Hey,
I came very close to going to see Casting Crowns Saturday. I am glad I found your Blog. I just started one recently and didn't know their were any other South Georgia Methodists blogging.
Nice blog. I am going to link to it.