Wednesday, November 09, 2005

THE END OF AN ERA

The Billy Graham Evangelistic Association has just announced that the Crusade held last June in New York was Rev. Graham's last preaching event. In the world of evangelists, Rev. Graham stands head and shoulders above the rest. His name will be remembered alongside other great heroes of the faith, including John Wesley, George Whitfield, D.L. Moody, Charles Finney, and Bill Bright.

Over the last 100 years, no single person that I can think of has done more to impact this world for Christ through evangelism than Rev. Graham. Rev. Graham has probably preached to more people in his evangelistic career than any other evangelist in history. I read his autobiography, "Just as I am," several years ago, and was amazed at how God had used Rev. Graham through out his life.

I have attended several Promise Keeper's events throughout the southeast, and I have always been amazed that 40,000 men would gather together to praise God in one place like that. But, during the early years of Rev. Graham's ministry, he preached a revival/crusade in Los Angeles to 100,000 people nightly -- for six months!!! I simply cannot fathom how that is possible. It is obvious that God chose Rev. Graham to reap a harvest here on earth that none will ever surpass.

Growing up in the 70's and 80's, we regularly saw Billy Graham Crusades on the t.v. We didn't think much of it. Sometimes we'd watch but, more than often, we'd just find something else. It saddens me to think of how much I missed over the years by not listening to Rev. Graham more than I did. God used him to touch so many lives, and I can't help but think that my life might have been richer if I had only listened to his teaching more often and applied it to my life at an earlier age.

So, as we watch the passing of an era, all we can do is say, "Thanks, Billy, for the lives that you have touched for Christ. You were an inspiration to us and heaven will be a little brighter because of the souls that were introduced to Christ through you."

No comments: