Monday, July 04, 2022

Independence Day -- The Plight of the Exhausted American

 I read an article by David French of The Dispatch this morning that sums up conversations I have had with Kim of late and I wanted to share a few thoughts, even though I know that most will not read. Even if nothing else happens, the act of putting into words the tension I feel is somewhat cathartic.

Here's what's going on: I find myself lost lately, beset by angry voices from the left and the right. When I watch the news or view social media, it feels like we are living in two different countries, with both sides convinced the other is the world's greatest evil that must be stopped, regardless of the means. Just yesterday, I had someone tell me that we must all vote Democratic to stop evil from overcoming America, and I had another person tell me we must all vote Republican to stop evil from overcoming America. Both sides are convinced the other is evil incarnate.
On this day when we are to stop and celebrate the freedoms we have as the United States of America, it is all too evident that there is nothing united about us. This country has been polarized into left and right camps that are striving for dominance politically, culturally, and spiritually. As French wrote:
"It’s time for Americans to wake up to a fundamental reality: the continued unity of the United States of America cannot be guaranteed. At this moment in history, there is not a single important cultural, religious, political, or social force that is pulling Americans together more than it is pushing us apart. We cannot assume that a continent-sized, multi-ethnic, multi-faith democracy can remain united forever, and it will not remain united if our political class will not adapt to an increasingly diverse and divided American public."
French goes on to describe the left and right extremes that are most vocal and most evident in our current discourse, but then introduces another group that he calls "the exhausted majority," the "tired Americans" who fit not into either camp but who now live in the middle, even when in the past they would have been considered left of center or right of center.
French writes:
"Who are these tired Americans? The polling answer from the survey is the two-thirds of our neighbors and citizens (from across the political spectrum) who are fed up with polarization, forgotten in public discourse, flexible in their views, and still believe we can find common ground.
"It’s the son or daughter who stopped talking politics to stay on speaking terms with mom or dad. It’s the mom or dad who can’t understand a radicalized child.
"The exhausted American is in my email inbox, writing personal, anguished letters about lost relationships. The radicalized American is in my Twitter feed, furious at any deviation from the party line. The radicalized American is capturing institutions, making life miserable for dissenters left or right. The exhausted American doesn’t know where to go. Who speaks for them?
"The exhausted American does not make a religion out of politics, and is thus at a disadvantage when confronting the ferocity and zeal of the true political believer.
"The exhausted American is hungry for simple decency, and will seek out friendships on the left and the right, so long as respect trumps differences. Even the most extreme disagreements are manageable so long as a friend is willing to listen and learn, and you’re willing to listen and learn in return.
"The exhausted majority is also the hope for America."
I have found my people. I am that exhausted American that French speaks of. The exhausted American who is tired of the partisan politics and the extremes on both sides. Who is "hungry for simple decency," who "seeks out friendships on the left and the right, so long as respect trumps differences." Who can look at both extremes and say, "You are wrong."
I fear for the future of our country. I fear the hatred I see coming from both camps in my social feeds. I fear what the future holds for America as these two extremes battle for dominance.
But I pray that the exhausted American majority would rise up and speak peace and unity into the rancorous discord that so fills our media and politics. I pray that the exhausted American majority would speak out against the evils from both sides and that we can once again become one nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
And, I am thankful for the truth that, regardless of what might happen in America in the coming years, this world is not my home. Even if countries and empires fall, the Kingdom of God stands, and my home and future are there.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your words about the 'exhausted American'. At times, I have felt tired from it all myself.