Sunday, June 30, 2024

Thoughts on Psalm 11 and the US Political Crisis

 In my morning devotional, I was led to read Psalm 11 and the notes on that chapter from Timothy and Julie Tennent's book,  A Meditative Journey Through the Psalms.  

This Psalm really spoke to me this morning.  There has been a current of worry and anxiety in my life and in the life of my family and those I know in regards to the political situation here in the U.S. 

Fears abound over where our country is heading following the election in November, to include worries about violence if the election does not go the way some hope, and worries about the loss of freedom and democracy if either the far right or the far left establish a more totalitarian rule.  

The threat of this seems real, and it has a lot of people worried.  I have family members who are seriously considering that it might be time to leave the country, at least until the immediate crisis has passed.

I, on the other hand, am torn.  I feel the burden of being a responsible adult and the shepherd of a small flock of believers.  I feel I need to be here to encourage, support, and protect those in my realm of responsibility.  I'm not likening myself to Bonhoeffer in any form or fashion, but I understand his call to stay in Germany during Hitler's rise to power.  I feel that.

But in the worry and anxiety that so encompasses our lives right now, God speaks in this Psalm and reminds us that, no matter how bad things look, no matter how it looks like the wicked are winning, He is still on the throne and still in control.  The end is certain, and the Kingdom of Christ will come and all will be restored and renewed.  

This is the hope I cling to and the promise I stand on in these days.  Praying that you will spend some time in this Psalm today, and that you will come to lay aside any worry or doubts you might have, and trust in the Lord, today and forever.

Psalm 11

For the director of music. Of David.

In the Lord I take refuge.
    How then can you say to me:
    “Flee like a bird to your mountain.
For look, the wicked bend their bows;
    they set their arrows against the strings
to shoot from the shadows
    at the upright in heart.
When the foundations are being destroyed,
    what can the righteous do?”

The Lord is in his holy temple;
    the Lord is on his heavenly throne.
He observes everyone on earth;
    his eyes examine them.
The Lord examines the righteous,
    but the wicked, those who love violence,
    he hates with a passion.
On the wicked he will rain
    fiery coals and burning sulfur;
    a scorching wind will be their lot.

For the Lord is righteous,
    he loves justice;
    the upright will see his face.

No comments: