Wednesday, March 10, 2004

****************************************************************
I was reading in Rick Warren's book, "The Purpose Driven Life," today, and ran across a really insightful section. Rick writes:

"You know you're surrendered to God when you rely on God to work things out instead of trying to manipulate others, force your agenda, and control the situation. You let go and let God work. You don't always have to be 'in charge.' You also know you're surrendered when you don't react to criticism and rush to defend yourself. You don't edge others out, you don't demand your rights, and you aren't self-serving when you're surrendered."

I think too often that we are too quick to react to criticism or rush to defend ourselves. We have been taught to stand up for our rights. To make sure that we get what we deserve.

Just today I found myself getting a little angry because a flagman on a construction site waved his "Slow" sign at me as I drove past. I was driving the posted speed limit -- they hadn't dropped the speed limit for the construction site -- but yet he alleged (by waving the "Slow" sign at me) that I was driving too fast. I was indignant. How dare he insinuate that "I" was wrong. I started to pull over, but a truck was right on my bumper (driving faster than me!). So I fumed all the way home. My pride had been hurt. My rights were being trampled on. This flagman was not respecting me.

Sound familiar? Maybe you've done something similar. Maybe you've been too quick to take offense when someone questions your actions. Maybe you've gotten ticked off because you weren't recognized for something you did while others were. Maybe you felt your rights were being violated and you stood up and put the other person in their place.

But, as Rick Warren points out, that should not be our Christian response. We should return evil with good. We should humble ourselves, as Christ humbled Himself, putting aside "our" rights, "our" pride, and "our" way of doing things. We should be fully surrendered to God so that we won't try to "puff ourselves up." It's not about us. It's about God.

So what if a guy waved a sign at me for driving too fast? So what if I don't get recognized at work for an award while others in my office are? What's more important -- my pride or growing a heart like Jesus?

"Not my will, but your will be done." -- Luke 22:42

No comments: