Saturday, March 26, 2005

The Value of Weakness

Have you heard about the Wisconsin Quarter issue? It turns out that when they minted some of the new collector edition Wisconsin quarters, there was a mistake in some of them. There is only supposed to be one leaf growing out of the left side of the stalk. But, some quarters have an extra leaf, some pointing up and some pointing down. Coin collectors prize such mistakes and inconsistencies. They are paying up to $500 for those two-leaved Wisconsin quarters.

I was thinking about that the other day, and at first it struck me as odd that something that was a mistake and a flaw could have such value. But then, as I thought some more, I realized that this is actually a biblical concept.

We become valuable to God when we recognize our flaws and our weaknesses. Our flaws and our weaknesses force us to recognize our own human failings and to depend on Him and His power in our lives. Our flaws force us to depend on Him and to turn to His perfect love.

God told the Apostle Paul, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore (Paul says) I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.

When the world tells you that you are weak or flawed, rejoice. Because through weakness comes the power of God.

No comments: