Sunday, December 13, 2015

COFFEE AT THE MALL -- A CHRISTMAS STORY



I ran across this story several years ago written by a gentleman named Mr. Durango.  This story struck a chord when I read it and I usually return to it at least once during the Advent period to recenter myself and to remind myself what is truly important this time of the year, especially when I get caught up in all the shopping and preparations for Christmas.  Enjoy!

"Mrs. Durango and I took a trip to the mall on Saturday, seems she had a couple of last minute items she needed to get. While Mrs. Durango ran into the card store I grabbed a cup of coffee at Starbucks and sat down at a table outside of the coffee shop.
-- I watched as people rushed by running from store to store in a frenzy doing their Christmas shopping -- seemed the people were being very abrupt and pushy toward one another -- Christmas hustle and bustle at it's worst -- People arguing over who was first in line to pay for the overpriced items they held in their arms -- arguing over who was the first one to grab that last green sweater -- arguing over trivial things all in the name of "Christmas" -- All these people acting so anxious and obnoxious all because "Christmas" was coming . . .
-- And I sat back sipping my coffee wondering if they'd all be as anxious and obnoxious if they were truly anticipating the Lord's return . . . Would they all be acting the same way -- pushing and shoving -- Arguing and fighting -- over such meaningless things.
-- Then I noticed a little boy standing there in the middle of the mall -- he couldn't have been anymore than four years old -- He was standing there in the middle of this hustle and bustle crying his little eyes out . . . And no one seemed to notice . . . people simply walked by the poor little guy ignoring his cries for help.
-- I walked over and asked the little guy why he was crying and he told me he was lost -- He didn't know where his Mommy was! -- There in the midst of the Christmas madness somehow he got separated from his mother and no one seemed to care . . . or even notice!
-- I was able to attract the attention of the policeman who was patrolling the mall and explained the situation to him -- he took the little guy and was able to reunite him with his mother a short time later -- I returned to my coffee and waited for Mrs. Durango.
-- As I sat there sipping my coffee I thought about the madness going on around me . . . I thought about how that little boy got lost and forgotten in the shuffle, ignored by everyone around him because everyone was too busy getting ready for "Christmas" . . .
-- And then I thought about that little baby Jesus, lying there in the manger . . . And how HE seems to have been lost and forgotten in all the Christmas madness as well. May we all remember that "Jesus is the reason for the season!"

[Source:  The Sermon Illustrator, "Coffee at the Mall," http://www.sermonillustrator.org/illustrator/sermon3/coffee_at_the_mall.htm]

No comments: